Portuguese soup - a healthy 25 min, 1-pot meal
Portuguese soup is incredibly satisfying and healthy! This recipe was inspired by a restaurant in Cape Cod that we love. It's packed with healthy veggies and protein, it's super low prep and you can make it vegetarian.
If you're looking for something you can reheat for lunch throughout the week, this is a great option. We love it with crostini, but feel welcome to skip or substitute your own favorite soup companion.
- 8 oz bacon (chopped) (Tip: Use kitchen shears to cut bacon directly into the pot to avoid getting raw bacon on your cutting board. You skip the bacon if you want to make it vegetarian)
- 8 oz fresh chorizo or soyrizo (If you can’t get fresh chorizo, use the cured type and cut into bite-sized pieces)
- 1/2 cup frozen chopped onions
- 4 cloves garlic, or 4 frozen garlic paste cubes, or 1 heaping tablespoon of jarred minced garlic.
- 1 large russet potato (or 1 can diced potatoes, drained)
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 can cannellini beans
- 32 oz unsalted or low-sodium chicken broth/stock (or vegetable stock)
- 10 oz bag frozen kale
- Kosher Salt and fresh pepper
- Ciabatta or other crusty bread
- Olive oil
- 1 Clove fresh garlic
- Prep your ingredients. Peel, wash and chop the carrots into 1/2" pieces. If using fresh potato, peel, wash, and chop into 1/2" cubes.
- Add a small amount of oil to a large dutch oven and heat over medium-high heat. Add chopped bacon and cook, stirring frequently, until brown and crumbly. Remove with a spoon to a paper-towel lined plate. Remove all but 1 tbsp of bacon fat and discard.
- Add chorizo to the pot, crumbling (if using), brown for 4-5 minutes.
- Once chorizo is browned, add onions and carrots and continue to cook for 4-5 more minutes, stirring frequently until vegetables just start to brown. Add garlic and stir and cook for 30 seconds. If there is more than about 1 tbsp of fat in the pan, drain on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Return chorizo mixture to the pan, add potatoes, beans, chopped bacon and chicken broth, cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and add frozen kale and stir to combine. Simmer for 15 min while you make the crostini.
- Preheat broiler for 5 min. Slice ciabatta into 1/2” slices. Brush with olive oil on both sides. Broil 1-2 min on each side (watch it carefully!) until toasted. When done, rub a fresh garlic clove on one side of the bread to add garlic flavor.
- Check the soup for seasoning and add salt and pepper as needed before serving.
If you want more fast and easy weeknight meal ideas, get our 25-min meal guide for free!