Lemon Chicken and Ditalini Bake Recipe
I love quick and easy chicken recipes that cook completely in the oven. The lack of "watching" or actively having to tend to food on the stove makes me feel so productive while dinner is cooking. I can work on school with my kids, tidy up a room in the house, or sort through a pile of mail - talk about an easy family dinner!
The most exciting part of this to me is that you get pasta without boiling water - SAY WHAAA?!?! Yep. Just try it.
I like to serve this with a simple side of roasted broccoli or asparagus, which also cook at 425, making it a pretty perfect meal!
- 1 ½ Cups Ditalini pasta
- 1 can (14.5 oz low-sodium chicken broth)
- 2 lemons
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 1/2 Tbl unsalted butter (divided)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp dry dill
- ½ tsp cornstarch
- 1 1/4-1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast cutlets/thin-cut chicken breasts; approximately 1/4” thick* (*Look for chicken breast that is already thin-cut. If you cannot find it, ask your butcher to butterfly the chicken breast for you so you don’t have to do it at home. You can also make this with chicken breast tenderloins. Making this recipe with regular chicken breast or thighs will mean a longer cooking time.)
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- Optional: Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425. While the oven is preheating, prepare ditalini:
- Lightly oil, spray or butter (use 1/2 Tbl of butter) a 9”x13” ceramic or glass casserole dish.
- Pour the ditalini pasta into the casserole dish.
- Add the chicken broth to pasta.
- Wash one lemon and zest into the pasta. Juice half of the lemon and add.
- Mince the garlic and add.
- Microwave 2 Tbl butter in a small bowl for 20-30 seconds, until melted. Add the dill, cornstarch and 1 tsp kosher salt to the melted butter and combine well with a fork.
- Pour the butter and herb mix in with the pasta, broth, lemon zest and lemon juice and stir to combine.
- Prepare the chicken
- Wash and slice the second lemon.
- If needed, cut the chicken breast into 1/4” thin pieces or 1” strips.
- Lay the chicken and lemon in a slightly overlapping shingle pattern over the top of the ditalini pasta mixture.
- Combine the coriander, salt and pepper and sprinkle mix evenly over the chicken.
- Cover the dish with foil or a lid.
- Once the oven is preheated, place in the oven to bake for 35 min. After 35 min, check the internal temp of the chicken. It should be cooked to an internal temp of 165 in the thickest part of the chicken. If needed, continue cooking and checking the temperature until it is done. I recommended adding 2 min of cooking time for every 5 degrees needed (for example 2 min if the chicken is registering t 160, 6 min if it is registering at 150, etc.)
- Let everything rest for 5 min before serving.
- If desired, top the ditalini with parmesan cheese before serving.