Healthy refresh to your family meals
The new year is right around the corner, so after eating like a queen the past month, it's time to do a reset.
I'm not much of a resolution person. I tend to go for small improvements, one at a time, over time, and it's just whatever I feel like would benefit me at that time. You'll notice I also don't follow a specific "diet". We eat in a balanced way, focus on real food, that's pretty much it. I believe there's room for all the food groups - and then some.
So, today I'm going to share what a healthy reset looks like for me and our family.
1) Meal planning - we always meal plan, but during a reset it looks a little different. I typically am more deliberate around breakfast, lunch and snacks than usual, and I focus on plant-based eating the most for myself. Learn more about the importance of meal planning and how it can benefit your family's health here.
2) Lunches - Again, this takes on a different focus for me. I count on having healthy items on hand and being more focused on actually eating them at the time of day that works best for me, rather than waiting until I'm starving and just too impatient to put something together. Check out some of my favorite tips and ideas for healthy lunches for busy moms here.
3) Dinners - Instead of the super rich dinners of the holidays, I bring more healthy comfort food items to the front of the plan. Here are some of my favorite healthy reset dinners:
- Fish with lemon, capers, and roasted broccoli
- Thai noodles with whole wheat noodles (recipe here)
- Curry butternut squash soup - vegan version (recipe here)
- Ham, kale and whole wheat pasta bake - great for using leftover holiday ham! (recipe here)
- Whole wheat spaghetti with anchovies and lemon
- Lemon chicken and ditalini with roasted broccoli or asparagus (recipe here)
- Healthy white chili - vegan version (recipe here for with chicken and cheese, and without)
- Portuguese soup with kale, white beans, potatoes and soyrizo (recipe here)
- Vegan shepherds pie
I hope you enjoyed this round up of healthy reset ideas and recipes!