Chicken tostadas - a great recipe for family dinner
I love chicken tostadas for family dinners because it's great to set up as a bar and let everyone build their own. For picky eaters, or families where everyone seems to have different preferences, build-your-own bars are a great solution!
This recipe includes instructions for making the shredded chicken, but you can also just skip that step and use shredded meat from a rotisserie chicken.
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 3/4-2 1/4 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs; or a 4 lb rotisserie chicken; or 2 Cups cooked shredded chicken
- 5 oz can chicken stock
- 5 oz can fire roasted tomatoes
- Tostadas (Look for these in the Mexican aisle, usually on the top shelf of the taco shell section. They look like oversized, flat, round tortilla chips all stacked up.)
Toppings, such as:
- Sour cream
- Avocado or guacamole
- Chopped tomatoes
- Refried beans
- Shredded cheese
- Shredded iceberg lettuce
- Make the seasoning blend by combining the chili powder, cumin, granulated garlic, onion powder and kosher salt.
- Cook the chicken (skip if using rotisserie or cooked chicken).
- Place chicken in cooker of choice, add entire can of chicken stock, seasoning blend and fire roasted tomatoes. Cover and cook until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165.
- Oven: Preheat oven to 425. Bake for 30-35 min.
- Slow cooker: Cook on high for 2 1/2-3 1/2 hours
- Electric pressure cooker: Cook for 25 min, natural release 10 min, then quick release
- If you are using already-cooked chicken, combine the tomatoes, seasoning blend, and about half of the chicken stock in a large skillet and heat over medium heat for about 15 min (lid off), until the chicken is heated through.
- While the chicken is cooking, get your toppings ready.
- If you are using refried beans, put them in a small pot with a little chicken broth or water, put the lid on the pot and heat over low heat, stirring every 2-3 minutes.
- If necessary, wash and chop tomatoes, avocado, etc.
- After chicken is done cooking, rest for 10 min, then shred with two forks.
- Heat tostada shells according to package directions
Build tostadas using your choice of toppings. I love a smear of refried beans, then chicken, then....everything else! :)
Want more easy meal ideas like this? Get a free 2-week family meal plan, with eight delicious and easy dinners and a done-for-you grocery list. Claim yours here!